Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hand Piecing

ME???!!!

I never thought this day would ever come, but I am loving all of the hexagon quilts I'm seeing (or "Grandmother's Flower Garden" as they are traditionally called.) I'm not in love with the traditional versions, oh no I'm in love with the ones made using modern fabrics, bright colors and bold prints. And white, lots and lots of crisp clean white.


It really wasn't hard at all to make each of the individual hexagons. It wasn't even hard whip stitching them to the center of the "flower." It was, however, a challenge (at least for me) to stitch together 2 of the petals after they had been stitched to the center hexagon. I think I've figured it out now. I'm ambitious and want to make this into a queen size quilt for my bed. That should only take me... oh 5 years! Actually I think I might make a center panel out of the hexies and then add borders etc because I know me, and I know I will eventually get bored of this project. {I'm pretty sure I have mentioned how utterly slow my hand sewing skills are.}

I used the tutorial here to get started. This is by far the easiest tutorial I have found because you only stitch at the corners and there is no knotting involved. The block pictured above was done with a 2.5" hexagon template (this is the measurement of one side of the hexagon, not the height or width.) The actual measurements of each hexagon are 2 5/8" tall x 3" wide. The completed block measures approximately 7.5" x 8"

I made my own paper piecing templates out of some medium weight card stock using my nifty
new toy tool: the Quickutz Silhouette SD
I love this baby! I will be sharing a full review in a couple of days so check back if you want to hear my unbiased {not to mention unpaid} opinion on this nifty little tool.

If you own a Silhouette you can purchase the file from me and make as many hexagons as you like! I'll be listing the .gsd files for sale in through my Etsy Shop. Just click on the "Quickutz Silhouette .GSD" tab of the right to see all of the .gsd files available for purchase. I hope to expand this section of my store real soon!


No comments: