Monday, October 6, 2008

Halloween Workshop

This past weekend I spent some time cleaning up my sewing room and working on a few projects. One of these projects was my daughter's Halloween costume. I generally like to dress up my kids as a theme. Last year they were Peter Pan and Tinker Bell. This year they will go as Buzz Lightyear and Jesse the yodeling cowgirl. Luckily I don't have to make a Buzz costume. The grandparents gave my son a great Buzz costume for his birthday back in March, it even has blinking wings!

I decided to go ahead and make my daughter's costume. Especially since the authentic looking Jesse Costume has been replaced with this:

C'mon we all know that this costume will not fly with a 2 year old. It's not even the right colors! I looked for the old costume but they are going for ridiculous prices on eBay, upwards of $20 but closer to $30 plus shipping! Even the smallest size is too big for my tiny petite 2 year old.

I think I will save my self some trouble and order the hat and wig:It's on sale for $7.99, but shipping is $8 GRRRR!! I hate paying excessive shipping. I looked all over the internet, and while many places have this available, Disney is still the cheapest price.

So I got my daughter a pair of blue jeans, made some cow print chaps for her this weekend and I found some cute boots for her costume and coming winter (two birds with one stone! Yeah!)

Here are the chaps, I really like the way they turned out. Now I just have to figure out the shirt portion of the costume.













I used McCalls #2851 for the chaps pattern. Here is my review of the pattern:
The pattern is labeled "Easy 2 hour" Which it is easy if you use felt or fleece or some other fabric which won't fray and you won't have to finish the edges of your costume.

There are minimal instructions on actual "sewing" and the instructions are mostly for how to use fabric glue. The Chaps pattern did not include any seam allowances to really turn under the edges. Even though the back of the envelope gives "canvas" as a suggested fabric (which is what I used) their methods for sewing and gluing would not work on canvas because canvas frays!!!

With a little ingenuity I was able to crank out the chaps any way.

So I would recommend this pattern only if you will be using a fabric that doesn't fray. *Remember I only made the chaps.


No comments: