Sunday, July 4, 2010

JCQA Petals


I've made some progress on the petals for the Jacob's Coat Quilt Along. Some progress but not much, which is better than none at all. I've made 36 of 637 petals needed for the quilt top. I wasn't planning on hand stitching these to the background. I was planning to do it using Harriet Hargrave's machine applique method. Except that I just realized that my favorite stitch for that method was on the sewing machine I sold to my SIL. I guess I'll have to play around with the stitches on my Kenmore to see if I can find a substitute.

By the way I highly recommend both of Harriet's books: "Heirloom Machine Quilting," and "Mastering Machine Applique." They are my go to reference books with oodles of drool worthy pictures. I must give credit where credit is due, Harriet's books taught me about 90% of what I know about quilting. I know the books seem pricey but they are sooo worth the money many times over. They are the perfect books for beginners and intermediate quilters that take you from the very basics (what is a quilt, bias, binding, etc) to more advanced stuff (marking, free motion, etc.)

2 comments:

Gene Black said...

Do you have a photo of the stitch? I want to see it, you have my curiosity stirred up.

Cyndi said...

Oooh, Norma, I love all the colors and fabrics you chose for your quilt. That is going to be absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see your progress.

XOXO,

Cyndi