Saturday, September 19, 2009

Modern Nine-Patch

I finished my nine-patch quilt along top about a week ago{maybe closer to two, I can't remember, so much going on!} I just now got around to taking pictures of it. Believe it or not every time I remembered to take pictures we've had rainy or overcast days around here. So I made my son's bed today {a rare sight} and decided there was enough sunshiny-ness to take some nice pictures.


My top is only 42 blocks instead of the 70 blocks being made by most. Today is day 61 of the quilt-a-long. So yeah, I went at a much slower pace than one block a day. I finally got my fabric for the backing in the mail. It's the pink and aqua fabric in the same line. I'll be doing a little bit of piecing on the back of the quilt. For the binding I want the dark navy blue {I still need to order this.}

I also finally found some Warm n' White to use as the batting. I'm definitely feeling the frustration of not having a good fabric store around. There is a Hobby Lobby but their stock of quilting items is pretty scarce. At least they carry a decent rang of Kona Cotton Solids. There is also a tiny LQS (Local Quilt Shop.) But they don't carry many fabrics in my taste range! There is a Hancock Fabric's store in Birmingham and a Joann's in Georgia, but each of those is over an hour away!

I've been forced to shop online and I detest it! I hate paying for shipping. I hate not being able to feel the fabrics. I hate not being able to see the "real" color of the fabrics and thread. I hate forgetting to add something to my order, or not ordering enough and then having to pay for shipping again. I hate having to wait a couple of days to get my fabric, sometimes I just want to get to work! But, I guess I can live with all of those nuances because the only other option would be to not quilt at all *gasp* Thank goodness for the internet!

3 comments:

Kris said...

That quilt top looks fantastic! I love how you balanced the Neptune with white. I hear your struggle with buying online... I wish I could fine someplace around me that I liked shopping at.

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

nine patch always looks good, and the colours you have chosen for yours look so fresh!
and I just love your retro "big kid" quilt, beautiful colours too!!

amy smart said...

This quilt is beautiful!