Sunday, May 9, 2010

Totally Awesome One Seam Flying Geese Block

Last month at our LQG (local quilt guild) meeting we were challenged to have 100% participation in our monthly block drawing. The chosen block was this super easy One Seam Flying geese. I was so excited when I saw this that I almost peed in my pants. It couldn't be more simple and brilliant! I love learning new ways to make blocks faster. Let's face it, I have limited time for sewing and I like to feel as though I accomplished something in my 5 spare minutes!

Now some of you may have already seen this technique since this video has been posted for almost a year. Apparently I live in a cave {oh wait I live in a small town in Alabama so I guess that's almost like living in a cave!} because I hadn't run across this technique yet. So in my loving, giving nature, I am sharing the video here to enlighten other cave dwellers like myself (*cough *cough - Joy). Enjoy:




By the way if you haven't already signed up for a free account over at The Quilt Show, what are you waiting for? They have several free tip videos and a while back I got a free voucher for 2 free past shows! Make sure you sign up for the newsletter because that is where a lot of the tips can be found.





PS. Happy Mother's Day to all the Mother's! The future of the world rests in your hands.

“Motherhood is the greatest potential influence either for good or ill in human life. The mother's image is the first that stamps itself on the unwritten page of the young child's mind. It is her caress that first awakens a sense of security; her kiss, the first realization of affection; her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world.” ~ David O. McKay

5 comments:

Rafael's Mum said...

Thanks for that! That is amazing!! I probably live under a bigger rock than you as I had not only not seen it, wasn't aware of the quiltshow either! Thanks!

Gene Black said...

sorry I didn't get to your email yet. Do you know what size we are supposed to make the block??? I don't. I hope someone makes a spare for me. LOL

Joy said...

Thanks my fellow cave dweller! That is awesome, can't wait to try it. What size for the block? I may be able to squeeze a couple out tomorrow!

Gene Black said...

The block should "finish" at 4 by 8 inches.
The size pieces to use are 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 for the "geese" and the two background squares are 4 1/2 by 4 1/2

(I called Judy -hope she was right!)
Oh and scrappy but high contrast.

Desiree said...

WOWSER I also live in a cave I guess lol :P I thought you lived in TN BTW lol oh well no matter! Thanks for sharing that! :D